A new blog chronicling the images of totalitarianism.
In my web wanderings, I discovered a wonderful blog which conveys the history of totalitarianism through images. The blog's author, who will heretofore be known as "El Companero" agreed to answer a few questions for me. The image to the right, which I discovered at his blog, reads "Fidel truly carries forward Christ's principles. Save us Fidel from the false priests..." The extent to which propaganda in Cuba made use of religious imagery is explored on El Companero's blog.
Alina: Why did you decide to create your blog, Totalitarian Images? Was there any particular inspiration? A reason why it went from idea to actuality?
- John Lynch, Argentine Dictator: Juan Manuel de Rosas, 1829-1852
- John Lynch, Caudillos in Spanish America, 1800-1850
- Steve Stein, Populism in Perú: The Emergence of the Masses and the Politics of Social Control
- Carlos Alberto Montaner, Journey to the Heat of Cuba: Life as Fidel Castro
- Lauren R. Derby, "In the Shadow of the State: The Politics of Denunciation and Panegyric during the Trujillo Regime in the Dominican Republic, 1940-1958" Hispanic American Historical Review, Vol 83, No 2 (May, 2003), 295-344
- Lauren R. Derby, "The Dictator's Seduction: Gender and State Spectacle During the Trujillo Regime" Callaloo, Vol 23, No. 3 (Summer, 2000), 1112-1146.
- Robert H. Dix, "Populism: Authoritarian and Democratic" Latin American Reserach Review, Vol 20, No. 2 (May, 1998), 29-52
- Paul H. Lewis, Authoritarian Regimes in Latin America: Dictators, despots and Tyrants
- Herando Muñoz, The Dictator's Shadow: Life Under Augusto Pinochet
El Companero wrote:"My inspiration was nurtured on my personal experience living in a totalitarian society."
Me too. But it was in Eastern Europe. It is our obligation to share what we know.
Ludwik Kowalski, Professor Emeritus,
whose new book–”Tyranny to Freedom: Diary of a Former Stalinist,” and its reviews, are now available at
www [dot] amazon [dot] com
THIS IS NOT A COMMERCIAL ADVERTISING. 100% ROYALTIES AUTOMATICALLY GO TO A SCHOLARSHIP FUND.
Comments will be appreciated, either at the above website or in private. Thank you in advance.
The first chapter is online at